Bowhunting on the Farm Ondombo
Bow hunting is a quiet method of hunting. The game is not worried and it is hunted mainly at day time. The shock from blood loss leaves the game to die quickly, similar to the action of the rifle shot. But when you hunt with the bow you can even shot more animals because there is no sound of the shot.
The bowhunter should pursue its prey only in a fair way. Fair chase is to follow as a pursuit of a free-moving game or game that is capable of natural behavioral inclination to escape from the hunter. Said game to be hunted without artificial light sources or by motorized transport. No ethically minded bowhunter should shoot females with dependent young. A hunted animal should be a part of a natural, interactive, sustainable wild population, in an area where it can multiply freely, graze freely or even hunt. The Hunted animals should be maintained in a natural state of balance between forage, predators and prey.
In Namibia, the following game species are shot with bow and arrow:
Small game: Hyrax, Hares, Porcupines, Caracal, Black-backed Jackal, Damara Dick Dick, Capricorn, Duiker and Klipspringer
Medium game: Baboon, Warthog, Blesbok, Impala, Nyala, Springbok and Cheetah
Big game: Oryx, Kudu, Roan, Sable, Waterbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Plains and Mountain Zebra, Eland and Giraffe.
Bow hunting is carried out in various ways. Hunters can start on good game passes or stalk the game in the wildness. The game must be at a distance of about 14-30 meters, it must be quiet and unaware of the hunter. The shots are inserted from the side. For these reasons, bow hunting is technically a very selective sport which requires good self-control, and physical condition from the hunter. Other by standing game species are little disturbed and are often not aware of the hunt.
Legal requirements for bow hunting:
The strengths of the arch are as follows prescribed.
Small game -25ft/lb,
Medium Wild 40ft/lb,
Big game - 65ft/lb.
Bow hunting must take place according to the principle of fair chase, which is described as follows:
- When hunting with the bow, the hunter can either start or stalking.
- The use of fair chase hunting equipment and methods for killing the animals in the least traumatic circumstances is required.
- Bow hunters should be constantly practiced and trained to improve their archery skills.
- Bow hunters should actively promote the preservation of the wild population, the protection of biodiversity and the promotion of lasting utility of the game.
- The bow hunter should always use humane ways of doing business in the game use.
- He should at all times, use fair and honest practices.
- He should inform and educate others about the benefits of permanent / lasting use, Wildlife and ethical hunting.