Ostriches usually weigh from 63 to 145 Kg. Male Ostriches can be from 2,1 to 2,8 m in height, while female ostriches range from 1,7 to 2 m. The feather of adults males are mostly black, with white primaries and a white tail. Females and young male ostriches are greyish-brown and white.The head and neck of both male and female is nearly bare, with athin layer of down. The skin oft he female’s neck and thighs is pinkish gray, while the male’s is blue-gray.
- Mating season begins in march or april and ends before september
- When threatened, the ostrich will either hide itself by lying flat against the ground or run away. If cornered, it can attack with a kick of ist powerful legs.
- Spend the winter month in pairs or alone
- During breeding season and sometimes during extreme rainless periods ostriches live in nomadic groups of five to 50 birds
Prefer open areas
- Mainly feed on seeds, shrubs, grass, fruits, flowers, insects such as locust
- Ostriches are diurnal, but may be active on moonlit nights. They are most active early and late in the day.